Chair, Applied Human Sciences; Associate Professor
BA (Bishop’s); MA, PhD (Queen’s)
Dr. MacDonald is a sport psychologist whose interests lie in the development of youth in sport.
My main research interests focus on the development of youth through sport. More specifically, I am interested in how we can use sport as a vehicle to teach children positive skills and values (such as responsibility, initiative, confidence) they will be able to use for the rest of their lives. Additional lines of research examine expert athlete development through environmental (i.e., city size of birth) and individual (i.e., coaching) factors. Finally, I have a strong interest in research methods and statistical analyses which have led to research on instrument development and validation.
- International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching, 2019
- International Sport Coaching Journal, 2019
- Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 2018
- International Journal of Exercise Science, 2018
- BMC Public Health, 2018
- no classification
- Positive youth development
- Development of expertise in athletes coaching